What is Myofascial Cupping ? It is an adaption of ancient technique from traditional Chinese medicine. Glass or plastic cups along with a vacuum pump or flame create a negative pressure on the skin’s surface. Cups are then moved using various techniques. Bony land marks such as spine and scapula which are often avoided (due to compression because typical massage would cause pain), can be worked on using massage cupping.
The cups can also be left on a particular area for short duration to facilitate joint mobilisation or soft tissue release. Suction reaches deep into soft tissue, attachments and organs. Toxins, inflammation, blood and lymph are pulled to the skin’s surface by the cups.
Health and healing are promoted by loosening soft and connective tissue, and therefore visible improvements are seen in scars and adhesions. The outcome is increased circulation and lymph flow.
Benefits of Myofascial Cupping:
Increases blood flow to painful/injured area
Passively stretches myofascial tissues to allow for normal flexibility
Myofascial Cupping Therapy
- Traditional use has been multi-cultural, with clear records from early Egypt, China and Greece. This spread through Africa and the eastern European cultures, and was also used by the natives of America.
- American doctors carried cupping sets into the early 20th century.
- In Traditional Chinese Medicine, stationary cups are placed on the skin and left for a period of five to fifteen minutes, and the cups may also be moved over the area to raise “sha”.
- The goal of Chinese cupping therapy is to move stagnation of blood and chi, disperse internal heat, and other applications based on Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnostics.
- Application of the cups creates space and separation in the tissues which allows the therapist to work more effectively and comfortably on the client.
Call Ignite Physical Therapy @ (480) 883-0202 to request a treatment today for a special discounted introductory price.
Other Therapies that may ease your discomfort: